Running Springs Ranch is an experiment in modern day tribe through living systems of People, Place, Purpose and Play:
People-Our chosen family & friends
Place- Our surrounding community & ecosystems
Purpose- Where we are called to contribute to the larger whole
Play- The ways in which we lovingly challenge ourselves & each other
We are coming together to…
• Create safe & fun environments for expanded learning, health & creativity.
Our surroundings greatly affect how we think, feel and interact. Here we get to design spaces enhancing it all.
• Research & share how to live more with less.
Being a low impact, open source example of how simple systems can make everything easier is one of the most effective ways of healing the planet.
• Host events showcasing knowledge, skills & full artistic expression.
Curating inspirational experiences engages our full potential.
• Steward the land & surrounding community.
Keeping in mind how everything we do affects the local watershed, wildlife, neighbors and long-term sustainability of all of our relationships is just plain smart.
• Celebrate life, each other & our rites of passages.
Parties span all cultures and languages. When done with grounded intention, they become a powerful way of creating intimacy and trust.
• Network with similar like minded people & groups.
By connecting and organizing with others we expand our reach and available resources exponentially.
Wouldn’t it be nice to always have a sweet spot to escape to, specifically designed to foster experiential learning, creativity and fun? A place where you get to drop in and play with likeminded people or just find the time and space to relax into yourself? Don’t you crave the inspiration that comes from being surrounded by creativity and full expression?
If you are reading this, its because you have, at one point or other, had a conversation exploring the concept of shared resources and space.
You want to deepen your relationships to others, yourself and the planet… and have already been moving away from the status quo towards a more expanded way of living for some time now. You have an open mind, a strong heart and a grounded core.
What you are about to contemplate might just catalyze everything… for all of us. We’ve all heard the words community and tribe thrown around… but what actually embodies these words? What creates the depth off bonds between people that allows for the softening of ego, the expansion of family and the creativity of collaboration... over the long-term?
Contemplate mixing people, place, purpose and play… within the container of a robust legal infrastructure and a collaborative democratic process... the end goal being to host mind expanding and body engaging creativity… for our selves and the kids.
Imagine a beautiful 80 acre landscape of rolling hills with two separate seasonal micro-villages on opposite sides of the property (each with 12 small bungalows capable of hosting a minimum of 24 people overnight). One hosts experiential learning events and celebrations and the other allows for quiet getaways. Each has two 30’ diameter yurts, one with a dining area and large kitchen, connected via an expansive deck with views, to another 30’ yurt for hosting events and workshops.The result is the capacity to host mind, body and soul expanding workshops as well as celebrations of all kinds.
Add to that a network of nicely landscaped paths, a playground, sauna, hot-tub, campfire ring, a spring fed pond, organic garden/fruit and nut orchard and an artisan workshop with the basic tools and facilities for working wood, fabric, ceramics and metal… all up and running within the next 2-3 years.
Consider the proposal that you invest with 42 others of us, in the closest thing possible to a modern day tribe… a seasonal gathering place connecting people, place, purpose & play.
Think burning man summer camp with tools and activities… for both kids and adults.
Now Imagine that.
RUNNING SPRINGS RANCH
I. Physical Structure and Construction
A. Upon completion, the property will consist of two “micro-villages” each with12 guest sleeping cabins and a main house.
(1) Guest sleeping cabins will be about 100 sf and sleep 2-3
(2) Guest sleeping cabins will have no bathrooms or cooking facilities
(3) Main house will have shared bathrooms and communal kitchen (but no sleeping quarters)
B. Purchase price includes funding for the planned construction of the first “micro-village” including its 12 cottages, “main house”, bathhouse, sauna, workshop, playground and landscaping; scope of work will be specified in organizational documents.
C. Owners will have the choice to either contribute a specified amount of construction labor or pay additional amount toward construction costs.
D. Additional fundraising will be needed in order to create the second micro-village, mirroring the first, on the opposite side of the property.
II. Legal Structure
A. The property will be owned by a California nonprofit mutual benefit corporation (the “FOA”)
(1) FOA will not be entitled to be in the rental business or any other business
(2) Only income will be owner dues
(3) FOA can be converted to non-exempt entity if owners go into business with the property
B. There will be 43 ownership interests in the FOA
C. The 43 owners will, collectively, have complete ownership and control of the property, but will be required to adhere to ownership bylaws
D. All owners will pay cash for their purchase; there will be no mortgage or other debt secured by the property.
III. Usage Structure
A. There will be three types of usage: “Planned”, “Short Notice” and “Last Minute”; while planned usage will be limited, each fractional owner will be able to use the property an unlimited amount (subject to availability) through the Short Notice and Last Minute usage programs
B. Planned Usage
(1) Planned Usage is based on the concept of “Cabin Nights”, which is one cabin for one night
(2) Planned Usage is also based on “High Season” and “Low Season”
(a) High Season is May 1-October 31: 183 nights x 12 cabins = 2196 Cabin Nights
(b) Low Season is November 1-April 30: 181 nights x 12 cabins = 2172 Cabin Nights
(3) Each owner can reserve up to 36 Cabin Nights in each season for Planned Usage
(a) Total of 72 Planned Usage Cabin Nights per owner/per year
(b) Could be all 12 cabins for 6 nights, one cabin for 72 nights, or any combination
(4) Planned Usage reservations will be made during specified month of prior year (e.g. Planned Reservations for 2015 made during October 2014)
(5) Planned Usage Reservations will be made in order of selection priority, which will rotate each year
(a) 1st Round: Nine Cabin Nights in high season
(b) 2nd Round: Nine Cabin Nights in high season and 18 Cabin Nights in low season (in reverse order of selection priority)
(c) 3rd Round: 18 Cabin Nights in high season and 18 Cabin Nights in low season (in original order of selection priority)
(6) An owner who does not want to use his/her Planned Usage can send others to the property; however, advertised rentals and exchanges will be prohibited
C. Short Notice Usage
(1) Short Notice reservations are in addition to Planned Usage, and become available beginning immediately after the Planned Usage Reservation period closes
(2) Each Short Notice reservation is for a maximum of 12 Cabin Nights, and only for consecutive Cabin Nights
(3) Short Notice reservations will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis
(4) Each owner may hold only one Short-Notice reservation at a time, but may make another one as soon as the prior one is used
(5) Unlike Planned Usage, Short Notice usage is only for owners and accompanied guests only; owners cannot send others in their place
D. Last Minute Usage
(1) Last Minute reservations are in addition to Planned Usage and Short Notice reservations
(2) Last Minute reservations for a particular date will become available 14 days before that date; Last Minute reservations cannot be made more than 14 days in advance
(3) Each Short Notice reservation is for a maximum of 12 Cabin Nights, and only for consecutive Cabin Nights
(4) Last Minute reservations will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis
(5) Last Minute usage will be subject to the same owner presence requirement as Short Notice usage
IV. Usage Rules
A. There will be a maximum of six persons allowed to stay on the property for each Cabin Night reserved; for example, if an owner reserves two cabins for a particular night, he/she will have the use of two cabins and his/her party can have a maximum of 12 persons (including people who may be sleeping outdoors)
B. Owners will be able to check themselves in and out of the property, but will pay a cleaning fee for each Cabin Night
C. Due to issues with safety and wildlife pets are not allowed.
V. Owner Dues
A. All expenses, including taxes and insurance, will be expressed in an annual budget
B. Annual budget will also include repair/replacement reserves for all furniture, linens etc.
C. Owners will pay monthly or quarterly dues based on budget
VI. Management and Governance
A. Seller appoint initial manager; thereafter, group will have the right to change managers or continue
B. Manager will live on site during High Season but may be off site during Low Season
C. There will be an annually-elected five-person governing committee of owners to make those decisions not delegated to the manager; the governing committee may appoint sub-committees to handle certain areas
D. A few major decisions will require an owner vote; of these some will require a majority vote, and a few (e.g. sale of the entire property) will require a 75% vote
VII. Exit Strategies
A. Buyers will be permitted to resell at any time, subject to right of first refusal in favor of other owners and a right of the management committee to reject buyers if it has a reasonable basis
B. A 75% vote of owners may trigger a sale of the entire property; if a sale is triggered, those owners wishing to continue may buy out those wishing to sell
…share a common ground get-away with 2-dozen sweet little cottages tucked around a tree-lined meadow with views?
… spend a perfect amount of time every year cooking, playing and creating with others.
…surround yourself with pristine hiking and biking trails, swimming holes, hotsprings and majestic old growth trees?
…help reinvent the “summer camp/country club” concept into something more fun, expansive and edgy?
…periodically come together with others enhancing intimacy and communication?
…co-evolve with a core of dynamic people, tools and events exploring health and creativity?
…have a hub that allows you to continually relax into yourself & others?
…allow your kids to grow up with other kids that share a lifelong common ground?
…have a place to invite people back to, deepen connections, celebrate, learn and collaborate?
…curate experiences with a stage, a dance “hall”, an open air dojo, organic gardens, an orchard and a wood, metal and ceramics studio?
…trust that its all coming together in just the right way, at just the right time.
4 Year Timeline
Listed here you can find our proposed timeline for building physical structures on the land.
Legal entity formed and 12 share holders invested
Spring, Summer, Fall of 2014:
Final 28 members invested making a total of 43 (including 3 original)
Clean up and dial in existing structures.
Concrete floor poured in barn
Floating Sauna built on pond.
Start to hold gatherings and events.
Spring, Summer, Fall 2015
Build Bathhouse & composting toilettes
Two large yurts with connecting wrap around deck started above pond. One for the kitchen and the other for events
Begin assembling 1st micro-village cottages
Spring, Summer, Fall 2016
Start building playground
Expand and refine landscaping, event organizing etc.
Networking and time sharing with other similar operations
Spring, Summer, Fall 2017
Begin fund-raising and creating the 2nd micro-village and (mirror image of the first)
Listed below you can see the benefits of investing in Running Springs Ranch and becoming a part of this growing community.
* Equal access and use to 80 acres of beautiful rich land with all of its current and future infrastructure, including:
The land currently features:
o A year round spring fed pond
o A large redwood barn and secure shipping container for storage.
o 100 tree fruit and nut tree orchard,
o A rustic cabin, with hot water, full kitchen, propane fridge, solar electric, wood stove, toilette and bath.
o Multiple fresh water springs
o Garden facilities including a large green house with related outbuildings.
What your investment makes happen (all inclusive):
* An equal share ownership of the land and facilities via a Limited Liability Corporation with robust bylaws defining a simple effective democratic decision making process.
* The connection and security of being apart of an organized, intelligent and fun group of people dedicated to creating a beautiful and inspirational site for hands on learning and celebration.
* The creation and personal use of the “upper village” get-away space, including one of its 12 small private cottages and common ground facilities IE Big kitchen, bath house, lounge, pond, sauna, hot tub etc. for a minimum of 108 days out of each year (think generous time-share).
* The creation and use of an artisan workshop in the redwood barn with the basic tools and facilities for working wood, fabric, metal and ceramics.
* The creation and exclusive use of a “lower village” events space (separate from the “upper village”), including its 12 cottages, two 30’ yurts (one with a kitchen and dining area and the other as a lounge/event space), for a minimum of one week every year.
* An equal vote on electing committees and making infrastructure decisions (as outlined in the enclosed bylaws).
* The opportunity to participate in the building and curation of the “villages” and barn workshop.
* An equal share of any yearly net dividends the property brings in.
* The option to put your shares up for sale at any time for the amount you invested, as per the bylaws.
What you exchange:
* 1/40th equal share investment (as detailed in the Pricing Outline)
* Presence and participation at month in-person meetings.
* A total of seven 3 day weekends (160 hours) over the first 2 years as sweat equity to construct the villages and infrastructure. This time is put in as a collective during a series of work parties erecting the cottages, decks, yurts etc.
* While direct participation is encouraged schedules can be supplemented by hiring a replacement hand (at an approximate cost of $33/hr)
* A love and willingness to learn, work and play towards creating and enjoying a legacy of shared people, place, purpose and play.
Ownership Pricing Outline 2014
We’ve consulted some great minds as to how best frame this opportunity in order to make it as secure and interesting as possible. We are confident you are going to feel good about how this is set up. So here it is:
We will be distributing a total of 43 equal shares. This will allow us to pay the remaining mortgage and create one of the two micro-villages (as previously outlined).
We’ve set some bench marks to determine how we proceed along the way.
Your capacity to visualize a simple yet sweet sanctuary for our hosting fun, expansive events for both ourselves and our kids will be what allows this tribe to come together.
Once we have 10 members on board (done), the project will be officially incorporated as a Home Owner’s Association/Time Share hybrid (done) and bylaws ratified.
While we are assembling the legal infrastructure, the funds will be held and administered via a Trust and trustees operating within a specific mandate on behalf of all the investors.
To create momentum, we’ve structured it so that the first 10-15 people that get involved get preferential pricing…with slight investment increases with every additional 10-15 members that join in. If benchmarks are not made then the group will convene and decide whether or not to sell the property.
Throughout this process 15% of each share will go towards reimbursing the original down payment and previously invested property equity up until a total of $150,000.
The next benchmark after the first 10 will be to have an additional 15 members by mid 2014.
The final bench mark will be having the last 15 members engaged by Jan 1st of 2015. At this stage we will have all the funds necessary to finish assembling the 1st “micro-village” and supporting infrastructure. As per standard operating procedure, we will keep an additional 5-10 shares in reserve for security purposes, just in case we want hem down the road.
Pricing structure for the various investment stages
1st Ten by Aug 1st, 2013 (Done)
Pay $25,000 in full or pay $10,000 down and the balance of $16,000 in 6 months (Dec 31st2013).
Next 15 members by July 2014
Pay $27,000 in full or pay $10,000 down and the balance of $18,000 in 6 months (July 1st 2014).
Last 15 members by Jan 1st 2014
Pay $29,000 in full or pay $10,000 down and the balance of $20,000 in 6 months (Dec 31st 2014).
March 21st: Equinox: Worship of the Rain Gods
April 19th: Easter and Passover: Spring and Transformation
May 24th: May Pole: The Axis of the World, World Soul
June 21st: Solstice: Feeding the Holy
July 5th: Freedom (Independence day), Summer Lovin'
August 16th: MEMBERS ONLY GATHERING (ALL)
September 20th: Equinox: Fall Harvest, Abundance
October 18th: Shadow: Halloween
November 8th:Thanksgiving, Setting Winter Intentions